Quick Guide to Local LLM Models
Hey there! Ready to jump into the world of Local LLM models? Here’s a quick-and-easy rundown of the best tools and resources to get you started:
- NVIDIA 3060 (12GB) - Roughly $250
- Great for 4bit 13B models. Solid choice for beginners or the budget-conscious.
- NVIDIA 3090 (or the elusive 4090) - Around $1500
- For those aiming higher, it’s perfect for the 4bit 30B models.
- Mac Studio with 64GB RAM - Circa $2400
- Apple’s offering for those who appreciate the shared memory with the GPU. Still catching up, but a formidable choice for many.
Handy Software Tools
LLaMa.cpp: The popular choice among enthusiasts. There’s some buzz about its creator being pretty Apple-friendly.
Text Generation Web UI: If you prefer a smoother interface for models and training, this is for you.
Meet the Quantization Guru
TheBloke’s profile on Hugging Face: The go-to guy for all things quantization. These are models that will run on your consumer GPU.
Hugging Face Open LLM Leaderboard: Wildly opinionated ranking of models, but probably the best place to start.
LocalLLaMA subreddit: Dive into the birthplace of LLMs. This /r is your go-to for the latest hotness in the LLM world.